Thursday, March 27, 2008

What was he thinking?

I was browsing around Digg when I saw this story "Dad gets 25 years for microwaving baby." With a headline like that, I just had to read more!

According to MSNBC a young father in Texas put his baby in the hotel microwave for 20 seconds in May of 2007. Allegedly he was having a mental breakdown that caused him to place his infant daughter in the microwave and hit start.

Little Ana suffered second and third degree burns to her left ear, cheek, hand and shoulder and required two skin grafts after being in the microwave causing part of her left ear to be amputated.

The father plead insanity because he was angry that he was in a loveless marriage and took it out on his daughter. Just before placing the baby in the microwave, he had punched the baby and put her in the hotel-room safe and refrigerator. This guy has a history of violence and of lying about being mentally ill to get out of trouble. That's a total red flag right there jury!

So here's the kicker...this guy originally told police his daughter was just severely burned but later changed his story to this whole alleged mental breakdown.

The jury only sentenced him to 25 years in prison and $10,000. The prosecutor asked for life - which I think he should have received - and the defense asked for probation because he "was insane" at the time of the incident and needed to continue his psychiatric treatment. I mean come on...you've got to be kidding me!

I think pleading insane is a total cop out. Don't get me wrong, I understand there are many people out there with mental illness and people who legitimately need help. But if you're perfectly healthy and you just don't want to go to jail then don't commit crimes. My mom always says, "You made your bed, now sleep in it." This guy went through with harming his precious baby girl, now he must face the consenquences.

I guess I can't believe someone would have the audacity to put their baby in the microwave. I understands kids don't always behave but violence isn't the answer. Put the kid on a time-out. Put yourself on a timeout. There are other ways to deal with stressful situtations than violence. Now because of her father's idiotic actions, this baby is scared for life - emotionally as well as physically.

No comments: